Manage a Small Farm in Western WA
Live/work exchange with income potential
Small family organic food growers looking for experienced farm worker or couple to manage & grow food on our land, in exchange for housing & produce.
Income opportunities to market produce, value-added product and/or help with The Barn with a View B&B.
[slideshow type=”nivo” height=”410″ effect=”boxRain”]
About the Place: 3151 NE Nine Boulder Dr. Poulsbo, WA
• 2.5 acre 1927 farmstead, 20 acres of shared open space: fields, ponds, wetlands, forests, trails
• Located in Kitsap County, WA near Hood Canal Bridge. 5 min. to Port Gamble, 15 min. to Poulsbo, 35 min to Port Townsend or Bainbridge, 1.25 hour to Seattle. Views of Olympics & Hood Canal.
• 50 x 55′ established fenced vegetable garden (2700 sq ft), 10 x 20 greenhouse, space for expansion
• Also: orchard (12 bearing trees); blueberries, raspberries; chickens; herbs; room for expansion
About the Opportunity:
• Work with us to take on responsibility for food production, including planning, soil prep, propagating, planting, cultivating, weeding, trellising, irrigation, harvest and storage, composting, animal care.
• Potential income: market produce or develop your cash crop/product (jam? cider? pickles? herbs?)
• Duration of commitment: negotiable, after 1 month trial period. Min 6 months season, prefer 1 year.
• Need paid seasonal help running B&B onsite (TheBarnWithAView.com), cleaning/prepping for guests
Your Experience and Qualifications:
• 1+ full growing seasons experience with row crop vegetables (prefer Western WA or similar climate)
• Long term interest in farming & local food production; creative skills to manage all aspects of growing organic mixed vegetables, fruits, berries, herbs
• Good physical condition: able to lift up to 50 lbs, work with stamina & energy in all weather
• Be self-directed and comfortable working alone AND in collaboration, balancing shared goals
• Strong communication skills— verbal and written
• Clean 31 ft ‘77 Airstream: queen bed, 2 singles, shower/bath, hot water, full kitchen, composting humanure toilet, propane and electric heat.
• Possible larger house for good fit/long term commitment.
• Garage storage space; large shop onsite – access negotiable
Please review the questions on page 2 of our application (Download PDF).
Please send short answers to the following questions. We will continue to receive applications beyond Nov 15.
- Alternatively, you could make a video to communicate your responses.
- Couples: please answer separately.
- Send along with a recent photo of you to casbeck at comcast dot net
- Feel free to call with any questions – leave a message for Christine or Tim 360-598-3846
- If you’re currently in western WA, you are welcome to come visit. Please contact us first :)))