Get Creative. Get Confident. Get Real.
What’s your Spark? What lights you up? Can you follow it with confidence?
Everybody wants to be themselves. Everybody wants to belong. Yet it can be hard when you’re trying to figure it out, you’re bombarded with messages, and even your friends are mean sometimes.
In this Day Camp, you will:
- EXPRESS yourself through art, movement, song, and/or video (it’s YOUR choice)
- TRY OUT playful ways to navigate social situations (with hula hoops!)
- GET REAL and share your best self, gifts and talents (and what may not be so easy)
INFO FOR PARENTS
For girls to be confident, know their unique gifts, and skillfully draw on those gifts to navigate the social challenges of teen years.
SummerSpark for Girls provides an opportunity for girls to develop social emotional skills through a range of playful, creative options. We offer visual art, songwriting, movement, games, dance, drama, writing, and videomaking. Through listening circles, the girls see and hear and accept each other for whom they are, with all their challenges and joys.
- Skill-building games for self-reflection, awareness and communication
- Creative expression with writing, art, music, movement and/or video production
- Walks in nature to explore trails and the beach
- Exploration of positive ways to work with setbacks and difficult emotions
HERE’S A VIDEO created at one of last years’s Summer Spark camps. It’s the story of a girl who is stressed out by all the negative voices in her head. It’s like the voices are having a party and she wants it to STOP! The girls created the concept and story, painted the background, and did all the acting, singing and dancing. Very proud!
Session I: July 15-19 2013, 9 am to 3 pm
Session II: August 5-9, 9 am to 3 pm
WHO: Girls age 9-13
WHERE: The Barn, 3151 NE Nine Boulder Dr. (near Port Gamble)
COST: $160. Bring your own lunch.
DEADLINE: Register by Friday, July 5
Facilitator-artists: Christine Castigliano and Katherine Wieseman
Questions? call Christine, 360-598-3846, or email christine at SummerSparkCamp dot com.
- Please download the Registration form (must return by JULY 5) and Camper forms / info packet (due start of camp).
- You may print or fill in electronic and return via email.
- Tuition: You may mail a check or use this button to pay with PayPal/credit card:
Christine Castigliano is a writer, designer, singer and teacher. I mentor young people and adults to follow the creative Spark within, building a strong core of compassion and courage to share our gifts with community. I’m a former college instructor at Northwest College of Art & Design and Bellevue Community College, a longtime NK Options parent and former co-chair. I’ve led Teen Talking Circles for 5 years, as well as many groups for young women and adults. Full bio >
Katherine Wieseman is a passionate teacher who seeks to create personal and community alchemy through play, contemplation, storytelling, movement, and community building. I dance Argentinean tango, am a Nia White Belt, and authorized Awareness Through Movement® student teacher in the Feldenkrais Method®. I’ve taught in environmental, health, K-12, and university settings in the sciences, interdisciplinary learning, games-based learning, nutrition, foreign languages, movement and sports. Full bio >